The winter has been long, and we still have a little time yet to spend indoors. If you are looking for a project that will keep you occupied, refresh your decor, and bring a satisying scent to your home, try making your own botanical candles! The possibilities for artistic expression are nearly endless, and these beautiful candles make great gifts, as well. Below are some guidelines to get you started, should you choose botanical candlemaking to be your grand finale of indoor activities for the winter…
You will need:
- Candle wax
- Essential oil(s) of desired scent
- Fresh herbs, sliced fruits, and dried or pressed flowers
- 2 candle molds of the same height, with 1 sized slightly smaller in diameter (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller) than the other.
- Wooden spoon
Now that you’ve gathered your desired and necessary materials, it’s time to create! Here are the steps:
- Melt enough wax to form the largest size candle. Uncolored wax works the best, and allows the beauty of the herbs and flowers to show through.
- Add desired essential oil(s) to scent the wax. Be sure to mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to ensure the scent lasts as your candle burns down.
- Pour scented wax into the smaller of the two candle molds,(make sure you have positioned the wick) and allow to set, but don’t trim the wick quite yet. Hold back some of the wax for the next step…
- Place the smaller candle you’ve just made inside the larger candle mold. Arrange herbs (fresh work best), flowers (dried or pressed), fruit slices, even seashells in a decorative pattern in the space between the mold and the outside of your candle so far. Pour some of the remaining wax to fill larger mold halfway, and set your decorations. Allow to set for a few minutes before filling the rest of the way with wax. If any herbs, etc. float to the top, simply remove them (try tweezers for this, they should greatly reduce the risk of scorching your fingers).
- Allow your candle to cool completely, then top off any valleys with more wax. Cool for at least an additional 10 minutes if you fill any valleys. Remove candle from mold, and voila! You now have a masterpeice that will liven your senses!
*Note* Make sure to avoid fire hazards by not allowing your candle to burn too far down. Never leave a flame unattended!